11 December 2012

Stevie Schmidt - 2011 - EP

Quality: 3.75 out of 5
Trip-O-Meter 4.25 out of 5

This set is a fine assortment of some IDM tropes laid out in a pretty groovy way.  The music is heavily sampled, wispy electronica, with warped tones swooping in and rubbery pulses bouncing the beat.  I definitely dig the construction of the tunes, although the production has a definite digital low-fi hover.  It's a somewhat thin-sound, but I think Stevie's in control of the proceedings and this is intended.

"I Don't See" drops down like the Avalanches, enters into an underwater Gas-like beats, before chopping and splicing the tone together.  Meanwhile, "Wash" bounces on the same pogo stick that the Orb recorder "On Kompact" on.  There's some very treated vocals showing up on "Sleep," with the end effect sounding like the radio signal of a 1987 synth ballad transmitted through a solar storm and bouncing of Uranus (hee! hee! hee!).

I guess listening to this makes me think that I haven't heard too much IDM since the dubsteppers and chill wavers took center stage.  I guess it's probably hiding out on underground cassettes like this.

Head for:
http://stevieschmidt.bandcamp.com/album/ep

No comments: